Friday, January 28, 2011

Wye kuin's Rj2

1(a).

I think one important factor that impacts the success of a social media campaign is to have regular and relevant updates on your social media channels.

Even if I have the best Blog or Facebook page set up, filled up relevant information about my company or event such as an event overview and have a hundred thousand followers, if I do not have regular updates on my Twitter or Facebook page for example which is dependent on interaction, the campaign will go stale when there are no fresh updates. My hundred thousand followers will start to lose interest because nothing new is given to them to continue the hype that is my social media campaign.

Many people today tweet about their activities and update the statuses on Facebook extremely frequently, they want up to date information the moment that information is readily available. So the moment that information is not supplied to them, there will be no point to for my target audience to keep track of my social media campaign as there is nothing to keep track off.

Another factor to consider concerning the success of a social media campaign is letting the users/consumers participate and try to give them a reason why they should participate. I am referring to the interaction between my target audience and my campaign. The entire point of social media is that it is interactive, so my campaign has to be interactive too. If my consumers can ask questions about my campaign, I can erase any doubts they have about my campaign. If I have an ongoing competition in my campaign, I can easily get my consumers to participate. All this also gives them reason to take part in my campaign and therefore continue following it.

One example of a successful social media campaign incorporating my two factors is Twelpforce by Best Buy Co., Inc. Best Buys a famous retailer of consumer electronics in the United States. Twelpforce is the name of their twitter page. They regularly and constantly update their twitter page with information on their products and also regularly answer their consumer’s questions. They have and impressive follower base of 33,000 and their campaign won the Titanium Grand Prix from Cannes Lions. The award gives its top honor to the ad or campaign that is considered the most breakthrough idea of the year. What they do is that every single employee in their store is encouraged to answer the questions of their consumer on their twitter page.

1(b)

Regarding my own social media campaign, my group has been posting regular updates on our twitter page for DMC to keep followers interested. For example, we have been twitpic-ing pictures of our current events such as Singapore Polytechnic’s open house and pictures about school life in DMC. We also tweet about DMC in general, what students do in DMC and also about our upcoming events/ activities. I believe all this updates have kept our followers coming back to our twitter page. Many of our followers are secondary students taking their O-levels or have taken their O-levels and have an interest in Mass communications, particularly our course.

I feel that if we had not given our followers these various regular updates, our campaign would have gone stale because followers will not be able to find out more about the course they are interested in as information flow had stopped following in. There will also be no point for people who are not following us to start following us because all they have to do to find out about our campaign is just to go to our page once and they will know everything there is to know. If there are regular updates, there is a reason to follow us.

Regarding consumer participation, all members in my group have to constantly reply our follower’s tweets/questions regarding DMC. In a way, it is like a mini twelpforce. If people know we are actively tweeting, people will start following us because they know we are not some inactive twitter page.

2.

I shall start with weaknesses as that’s easier to filter out. One weakness I have is that I get lazy during group discussions and I start to lag behind. Whenever a new update is up, I am slow on the uptake as I have a short attention span that irritates my members.

Another reason is my lateness for group meetings, I come extremely late and that pushes back the time the group meeting really starts and thus time is wasted.

I have very little strengths as but try my best.

4 comments:

  1. "I have very little strengths as but try my best."

    apparently english isn't one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One redeeming factor that i have is that I enjoy lifting my team's spirits although that backfires on me a lot. I do what I can and I never complain about whatever job I am given. I will also never be complacent until my assignment has been handed up. Rejoicing and finding out you have done badly for your assignment really sucks

    ReplyDelete
  3. kuin, i think that is a really important strength in any team!

    ReplyDelete